Take one glance at my instagram and you’ll be able to tell the food I could not live without. Oats.
My love started when I was younger, when I realised the importance of breakfast and I desperately wanted to lose weight. My decision was to have a bowl of porridge in the morning, made with water. You guessed it. Gruel.
Luckily, this haunting experience has not tainted by undying love for this nourishing foodstuff. Porridge is so much more than the bland, tasteless sludge I slopped up each morning before heading to school.
Now, I mix all sorts of delicious fruits, nuts and seeds with my oats, trying to find my favourite combination. I kid you not- I wake up excited for my bowl to kick start my day.
A long-lasting love of mine in caramelised banana, in coconut oil, cinnamon and maple syrup. But, when you have it almost every day, even I will say you start desiring change. So, I decided to move on to the berry varieties, and I struck the jackpot. A new dish for me to overeat and obsess over. Excellent.
Ingredients (serves 1):
For the oats:
- 45g porridge oats
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 200ml milk (of your choice)
- dollop of creme fraiche (or natural yoghurt)
- sprinkle of dessicated coconut
For the Compote:
- 55g blueberries
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanila essence
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Put the oats, mixed spice and desiccated coconut in a pan and turn on the heat to medium. Allow to toast for a short while.
- After a few minutes, pour in the milk. Stir the milk with the oats mixture continuously for a creamy texture.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add all the ingredients for the compote together. Turn the heat on to a medium heat, and stir through for approx. 5 minutes (or until the blueberries start to release their juices).
- When the porridge looks like it is at the creamy consistency you desire, add a dollop of creme fraiche to the mixture, and turn the heat down. Stir through.
- Now, you may plate up your oats (use a spatula so you don’t lose any!).
- Finally, pour the compote mixture on top of your oats. Sprinkle with some more desiccated coconut, and another small dollop of creme fraiche. Enjoy!