Anyone who knows me, knows I love porridge. Take one look at my Instagram, @janecowiefood, and you’ll be taken aback by the evident passion I feel towards that little bowl of goodness. For me, there is no better way to start the day than a nourishing bowl of creamy oats with some warming cooked fruit and a crunchy topping of seeds. Everything seems to complement each other to perfection.
The cold, Autumnal days ensue, and it is not just our wardrobe that needs to make a decisive change- our diets must follow suit. That may be switching to eating seasonably, gobbling down everything from apples to aubergines and cabbage to kale, or focusing on the warming dishes such as hearty pies and comforting soups. Whatever food might take your fancy, make sure to whip up your fill of flavoursome porridge: whether it be to kick-start your day or a healthy alternative to pudding.
- 50g porridge oats (old fashioned style)
- 220ml almond milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ pear
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- Handful of pecan nuts
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 175C. On a baking tray lay down a sheet of tin foil.
- Cut the pear in half (you can save the other half for a snack or tomorrow’s porridge!)
- Using a teaspoon scoop out the seeds. Drizzle 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of cinnamon over the pear.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When the pear has approx. 10 minutes to go, pour in your 50g of oats in to a saucepan with the 1sp of cinnamon.
- Dry toast your porridge oats in the pan (very lightly, make sure not to burn them!) until they look slightly golden brown.
- Add the almond milk and keep stirring for approx. 8 minutes on a low heat.
- Whilst the porridge is heating through, get yourself a frying pan, adding the coconut oil, pecans and pumpkin seeds. Heat on a medium heat for 2 mins, or until the pumpkin seeds start to ‘pop’.
- Pour your porridge oats in to a bowl, slice the baked pears and place on top, along with the seeds and nuts. Add a handful of pomegranate seeds for an extra crunch and sweet hit.